Re: Linux Router with Firewall

>>Whether or not there is an annual fee associated with ipcop I cannot
>>say, but I do know that releasing software under the GPL and charging an
>>annual support fee are not mutually exclusive propositions.
>>
>>Please forgive me if that was not what you were implying.
>>
>>Just an observation,
>
> ----
> I wasn't implying anything other than what I said - that the software
> carries a GNU/GPL license and I've never seen anything that stated an
> annual fee to be associated with it - for any reason. If Jeff or anyone
> cares to point out where these fees are mentioned, I would appreciate it
> since I am using ipcop at a number of clients and have given up on
> smoothwall for a number of reasons (and I note that smoothwall is
> interested in support contracts and renumeration for extra features).
>
> I was thinking that Jeff was confused and wanted him to elaborate on his
> point.
>
> Craig

This is getting off-topic (and I'll end this here), but I will say
this--I use Smoothwall b/c I bought the corporate version and I hate to
throw money away.   One aspect I do not care for is the artificial
imposed limit of only three network devices w/o having to upgrade from
the "Corporate" to the "Advanced" product.

Having said that, I understand that Smoothwall, Ltd. is a commercial
entity entitled to make a profit.   I do not curse them for that.

I've never configured ipcop, but you've sparked my curiosity about how
it compares to smoothwall in terms of ease of administration.

Thanks,
DP

--
David-Paul Niner, RHCE