Re: mail confusion

Jay Moore wrote:
On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:06 -0500, Derek Martin wrote: This host (aria) has a dynamic IP. It is on a private net, currently @
192.168.1.207

my /etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain aria.cullmail.com aria
my /etc/resolv.conf file:
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search cullmail.com
nameserver 207.203.159.252
nameserver 205.152.0.5

my /etc/sysconfig/network file:
NETWORKING=yes
# HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
HOSTNAME=aria.cullmail.com
I set up masquerading in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, "re-compiled", re-
started sendmail, re-booted, jumped up turned around three times with my
left index finger on my nose while chanting "there's no place like home,
there's no place like home". No dice... I even changed the .mc file so
that *no reference* to localhost.localdomain existed in sendmail.cf
(checked this w/ a grep).
So here's the thing: Evolution is configured to use sendmail on this
host... it works fine. However 'pine' and 'mail' cannot get anything
except 'localhost.localdomain' when they send mail.
Please clue me in if you can.

For root, you can't get away with just eliminating "root" as an
EXPOSED_USER in sendmail.mc and relying on MASQUERADE_DOMAIN because
that will result in translating root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" to
"root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx", which would be very wrong.

You can use genericstable to translate root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to some other real address.  You'll want to uncomment the
"FEATURE(`genericstable')" line in your sendmail.mc and include a
line like the following in /etc/mail/genericstable:

  root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   somebody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You'll also need to uncomment the "FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')"
line in sendmail.mc and be sure "localhost.localdomain" is being
included in class {G} by including a line:
     "GENERICS_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl"
(You can also use a GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE to do that.)

I'm tempted to say, "Now rebuild sendmail.cf, restart sendmail, and
Bob's your uncle," but (a) I'm not your uncle, and (b) I might
have left something out.  So, I won't.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.