Re: FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>Here's a wild thought, maybe the whole idea of ISO images, sampling a
>>copy of the rest of the repo state base-only or with updates, is
>>actually the evil part here.

> Partly right.

I see :-)

> It's obviously horribly wasteful and not particularly
> useful to have a gazillion mirror copies of the giant every-changing
> workspace of fedora archived away.  However, isos make good bittorrent
> and rsync targets and as such make sense for bandwidth sharing and
> saving.

Bittorrent and rsync works fine with directories of files.

 > Maintaining local yum repos means you have to mirror a lot of gunk
> you'll never use and relying on remote ones means trouble when
> things get out of sync.  What we need is a more intelligent way
> to share bandwidth without cluttering the world with useless
> snapshots.

A cacheing proxy might be interesting to solve this objection, rather
than an explicit mirror.  Then nothing is pulled down that is not a
selected package for at least one proxy user.

-Andy