FC4 logout GUI locks system

I just updated from FC2 to 4. I've got an IBM clone; AMD Athlon 1GHz processor; 512megs of RAM; etc. What I've experienced since updating is that when I attempt to log out (say, from root to a regular user or vice versa) using the GUI (I'm using Gnome as my desktop) the entire system locks up/freezes and I can't go any further (mouse hangs; everything else hangs). I can open a terminal and use the "shutdown" command to reboot (that is, *before* I attempt to use the GUI). Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin
Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White Pages and more. See for yourself at http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/