Re: ELF Binary Stripper?

John Wendel wrote:
>I've got an FC3 "everything install, latest updates" system that has
>never had prelink run on it, unless it was run by the installer, since
>I don't run cron. The hardware is a 933 Mhz PIII, 512MB, Intel MB,
>80GB Maxtor IDE disk.
>
>As root, I ran "time prelink -av > foo".
>
>Wallclock was 2 minutes 16 seconds, CPU was 14 seconds. The system was
>responsive on another console while prelink was running.
>
>The output file contained one line,
>"Laying out 758 libraries in virtual address space 41000000-50000000".
>
>There was some console output complaining about Firefox and Mozilla
>and unable to locate dependent somethings.

That doesn't sound to me as if a full prelink was performed.  I've
just run 'prelink -av' on a recently installed RHEL4 system.  There
were hundreds of lines of 'Prelinking <pathname>' output.

With a Pentium III running at 850MHz this took 45 minutes 38 seconds
of real time and 39 minutes 49 seconds of CPU.

Ron