Re: ELF Binary Stripper?

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Tony Nelson wrote:

At 9:43 AM -0400 10/13/05, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

I wonder if nicing it would avoid the problem of making your machine
unresponsive.  I don't see why it has to run at regular priority.

I see a renice +19 in /etc/cron.daily/prelink.  Of course, this won't

Oops, missed that when I glanced at it.

I had a look at mine, and it's in there for mine, too, but
top reports prelink running nice 0.

reduce the CPU usage below 100%, it just changes who gets it first.

Umm, I don't think that the CPU utilization is really the problem.
It's the disc bandwidth. The disc gets completely eaten up,
and any time swap or the fs get used, the machine waits. At least
that's what I gather from top.

So it shouldn't make a system unusable in any case (unless maybe the system is memory constrained and swapping along with everything else).

Also, the amount of work prelink does can be controlled in
/etc/sysconfig/prelink. Normally, it should be quick (only bins and libs
that have changed), but every two weeks it runs normally.  If you aren't
upgrading RPMs, it apparently doesn't do anything at all until after a
week elapses.

Well, a check on my machine did 3400+ prelinks, taking tens of minutes.
See my other message

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.