Re: ELF Binary Stripper?

At 8:25 AM -1000 10/12/05, Chris Stark wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:24 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>[ snip -- well-written tirade :) ]
>
>> Since there is at least one person who posted a question on this
>> topic, I suppose there are others out there like me who are
>> annoyed and worried by this tool.
>
>My workstation in the office is a 1GHz PIII with 1.25GB RAM running FC4.
>It's not a super fast system, but it works for web programming.
>
>It seems like every day when I'm working, prelink inevitably launches
>when I'm doing something important and pegs my processor at 100% for
>often-times over two to three hours. Like Mike said, there's not really
>anything anywhere stating why I should just sit back and let my
>productivity be cut in half for a portion of every day while my system
>struggles to do ANYTHING other than prelink.

I don't think this happens for me or for most people.  That is, something
unusual is happening on your system to make prelink take so much effort.
Ask what might be broken about prelink.  Prelink should be running daily on
my machine, along with slocate and makewhatis (and I do see a couple of
minutes of activity sometimes, usu. via anacron, and whatis and locate work
properly).

>If the benefits and rationale for using prelink are documented anywhere,
>I sincerely would be interested in viewing this. Otherwise, the claim of
>it significantly speeding anything up is made moot by the fact that the
>system is virtually unusable when prelink is running.

Googling on linux prelink works for me.

BTW, nearly everything about linux and Fedora has caused someone terrible
time-consuming trouble, as evidenced by posts to this list.  Prelink may be
your share of the trouble.