Re: ELF Binary Stripper?

Ben Stringer wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 18:58 -0400, Chris Spencer wrote:

I have an ELF binary with a zip file attached and something in Fedora is breaking it by stripping the zip file on a daily basis. Could a cron process be responsible?

Probably "prelink".

Have a look in /etc/cron.daily. My FC3 installation calls prelink daily.
prelink modifies ELF binaries to speed up startup time.

Cheers, Ben

Yes, my guess as well. IMO prelink is worse than useless.
When my machine gets slow, and I notice the disc going crazy,
it's prelink.

Why does it even exist? I put an image on my disc, I want it
left alone, not fiddled with. If I wanted it fiddled with, I'd
fiddle it myself, or make a special install script which did
the fiddling.

Get rid of it's presence in cron, I say.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.