Re: User rights to update /var/www/

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 10:28:04PM +0930, Tim wrote:

>>  James Pifer:
>>
>>  > Well, how do you do this? Right now root is the owner of the files and
>>  > apache is the group assignment. How do I give others rights to update
>>  > the files in a safe manner?
>>
>>  man chown
>>
>>  Think about how you're going to do this, and apply it to directories and
>>  files, starting at /var/www/html.  You could leave root as the owner,
>>  make authors the group, add everyone who's an author to the author group
>>  (webmasters is a long word, and makes listing directories a bit
>>  messier).
>>
>>  Something as simple as:  chown -R root:authors /var/www/html/*
>>
>>  You may need to do a separate non-recursive one for the "html"
>>  directory.
>>
>>  e.g. chown root:authors /var/www/html

Why not just do a recursive chown on /var/www/html?  e.g.

    chown -R root:authors /var/www/html

>>  And ensure that owners and the group can read and write files, other
>>  users can only read files.
>>
>>  e.g. chmod -R o+rw,g+rw,o-w /var/www/html/*

(Don't you mean u+rw,g+rw,o-w?)

>>  Likewise, you may need to do a separate non-recursive one for the "html"
>>  directory.
>>
>>  e.g. chmod o=rwx,g=rwx,o=wx /var/www/html

(I think you probably mean u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rx?)

And again, why not just start at /var/www/html ....  except that ....

>>  (Remember executable permissions are needed for directories, but usually
>>  not wanted for web servable files.)

True.  But if there are directories within /var/www/html, you want to
make them world-"executable" as well.  I recently discovered, though,
that chmod has some flags that allow what I think you want.  Continuing
the example, you would do this:

    chmod -R g+rwX /var/www/html
    chmod -R o+rX /var/www/html

Assuming /var/www/html and everything below it in the hierarchy starts
out readable/writable to its owner, with directories executable as
well, the above commands should make everything readable/writable to
others in the group, readable to all, and any file/directory that's
executable by its owner will be executable to all.

Hope this helps in general, though in this situation I rather like
the other suggestion to instead put things in ~username/public_html
directories and [ whatever configuration is needed to make those files
servable ].

-- blm