Re: Crash crash crash, FireFox unhappy

Andy Pieters wrote:
> I thank you for your suggestion but it won't work since I installed FireFox
> directly from the download site. Using the rpm results in a FireFox with
> illegible fonts.

Um. Three points:

 * you might find it easier to troubleshoot the illegible fonts than the
   crashes. Which X driver are you using? Are the menus illegible, or is
   it just your web pages? Are the fonts completely illegible, or do you
   just find them hard to read -- and how? What is $LANG set to?

 * if you're installing from a download site, there is always the chance
   of an incompatibility between what you're downloading and what Fedora
   provides. As a last resort, you might find that building from scratch
   gets you something more stable. I haven't done that for ages, and not
   for Firefox. I used to for Mozilla, though[1]: it took ages on my old
   PC, but the end result worked fine.

 * You've tried reinstalling Firefox itself, but you haven't checked the
   underlying system libraries.  They *are* installed from RPMs, and you
   could check them using my suggestion.

Hope this helps,

James.
[1] I can't remember why: I think I wanted some of the updated features,
but the precompiled download used GTK1 with the un-aliased fonts.

--
E-mail address: james | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | (a) The Spanish Armadillo,