Re: Silly Question - New Login

Jim Cornette wrote:
Lokrin wrote:

 I haven't been following this thread, but what I use from tty1 (vt1,
 or whatever) is the following, which I've got aliased to "startx".
 This is my home computer and it starts out at init level 5 with kde
 on vt7 This command logs me in as root on vt8.

Run "switchdesk kde" from your root account. Running X as root caused me problems (wiped out my whole system during testing phoebe), I would advise not running an X server as root.

I only run desktop as root for a few things. Such as the KDE menu editor. I can run it as user and it says it is saving and updating system files, but it never updates. Also I can run synaptic in it. Or copy files to a restricted directory, etc. Just a few admin things. Otherwise I use the user GUI all the time.

I myself run kdeuser, xfceuser and so forth. I login to a terminal and run "switchdesk kde" and "switchdesk xfce" for the accounts.

Switchdesk isn't listed in either of my KDE or GNOME menus and I keep forgetting about that command

My two problems

 are that I would prefer KDE over gnome - why, since my default vt7
 login is kde, does this send me to gnome? - and when I log out of the
 session it stops the X session on VT8 totally and doesn't give me the
 option of logging in as a different user..

You are not using a login display manager with the startx script, thus no login prompt after logout.

Ok, no problem with that, just curious.

 startx -- :1 2>devnul &

Jim

Ok, another question then - Once in a while I'd like to be able to have three GUIs running - My user, root, and a test account to see what happens without possibly ruining my regular account or root account. How would I add the third GUI? I've tried
startx -- :2 & but that just gets me another root GUI