Re: Silly Question - New Login

Berna Massingill wrote:

Dotan Cohen wrote:

[ snip ]

>That was a rather interesting post to read. But I've been googling for
>some time now, as you interested me in what you had said about running
>multiple guis in different consoles. I would like to have F7 and F8 as
>two seperate gui's. How does one accomplish that? Thanks.
>
>Dotan Cohen
>http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/402/pink_floyd.php
>Pink Floyd Song Lyrics

Applications --> System tools -->> New Login

This will let you open different users for different consoles. There are items like sound that don't work wel on the new login, but it is handy for running KDE or XFCE in one console and Gnome in the other.

The command-line version of this (for those who are into such things)
might be  "X :1 -query <machinename> -once".

I say "might be" because I just tried this on my newly-installed FC4
system, and got (1) a blank screen with a little X in the middle,
and (2) error messages when I went back to the original screen
(with control-alt-F7).  I also tried it from a text console, with
the same result.
So I tried your GNOME-GUI way, described above, and that didn't work
either, though the symptoms were slightly different -- blank screen with
a cursor at the top, very similar to what was happening with the text
consoles before I applied the "copy libvgahw.a from an FC3 system"
fix discussed recently in this list.

Hm.  Anyone know what's wrong?  This can be a useful thing to have.

(Possibly the problem with my command-line way is that I don't know how
to properly specify <machinename>, and/or there are firewall issues.
I've tried "localhost" to start another session on the same machine,
without success.  I've also tried the name of a remote host to which I
*should* have access through its firewall (I can connect via "ssh"),
but also without success.  When I've done this before, the remote
machine and mine were both part of a local network, so there were no
firewall issues.)

-- blm

The properties in the command is the command "gdmflexiserver" on my computer. I ran this from the commandline and it brought up another screen for login on F8 While there was still a session on F7. This seems to be a function from gdm login manager.

Jim

--
I did it just to piss you off.  :-P
       -- Branden Robinson in a message to debian-devel