Re: Samba and XP SP2 no love

Information for Huge Designs wrote:

Hi All,

I am having ALOT of trouble getting samba working a FC4 system I admin.

I have 10 XP SP2 clients all trying to log into the server. If I go to map
network drive I type the shares in like say \\apollo.local\common the
server returns a request for a user name and password but even if I put
the correct password in, it just pops back with user name and password.

In the log files there is one for each machine but they are all empty.
In the smb.log then NMB.log is a littel diffrent it keeps saying
[root@apollo samba]# tail nmbd.log
 *****

 Samba name server APOLLO is now a local master browser for workgroup
MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.11.200

 *****
The MyGROUP is alittle troublesome cause if you look below at the smb.conf
I have clearly named it WORKGROUP

I have checked my smb config with testpram and it works fine the server
starts and is running.

Things I have tried,
Turning off firewalls on both machines
creating new users and adding the users to samba users
creating new groups and adding the users to them

I can ping and telnet from each port nessecary and am really at a loss for
what I might be doing wrong.

any help would be appreciated.

E./
smb.conf

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
       log file = /var/log/samba/smb.log
       smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
       name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
       preserve case = no
       default case = lower
       username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
       domain master = yes
       encrypt passwords = yes
       hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.11. 127.
       passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
       wins support = yes
       server string = apollo.local
       unix password sync = Yes
       local master = yes
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       debug level = 10
       os level = 65
       security = user
       preferred master = yes
[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = yes
  writable = yes

[Common]
comment = Comon File Location
path = /home/elleme/common
read only = no
public = yes
write list = @elleme-users

[Work]
comment = Working file locatio
path = /home/elleme/work
read only = no
public = yes
write list = @elleme-users

I think I found the problem ..... kinda its late....

[root@test samba]# testparm smbusers
Load smb config files from smbusers
Unknown parameter encountered: "nobody"
Ignoring unknown parameter "nobody"