Re: Samba and XP SP2 no love

On Thu, 2005-18-08 at 20:12 +0900, Information for Huge Designs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having ALOT of trouble getting samba working a FC4 system I admin.
>
> I have 10 XP SP2 clients all trying to log into the server. If I go to map
> network drive I type the shares in like say \\apollo.local\common the
> server returns a request for a user name and password but even if I put
> the correct password in, it just pops back with user name and password.
>
> In the log files there is one for each machine but they are all empty.
> In the smb.log then NMB.log is a littel diffrent it keeps saying
> [root@apollo samba]# tail nmbd.log
>   *****
>
>   Samba name server APOLLO is now a local master browser for workgroup
> MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.11.200
>
>   *****
> The MyGROUP is alittle troublesome cause if you look below at the smb.conf
> I have clearly named it WORKGROUP
>

> I have checked my smb config with testpram and it works fine the server
> starts and is running.
>

> Things I have tried,
> Turning off firewalls on both machines
> creating new users and adding the users to samba users
> creating new groups and adding the users to them
>
> I can ping and telnet from each port nessecary and am really at a loss for
> what I might be doing wrong.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> E./
> smb.conf
>

> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================
> [global]
>         log file = /var/log/samba/smb.log
>         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>         name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         preserve case = no
>         default case = lower
>         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>         domain master = yes
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.11. 127.
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         wins support = yes
>         server string = apollo.local
>         unix password sync = Yes
>         local master = yes
>         workgroup = WORKGROUP
>         debug level = 10
>         os level = 65
>         security = user
>         preferred master = yes
> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = yes
>    writable = yes
>

> [Common]
> comment = Comon File Location
> path = /home/elleme/common
> read only = no
> public = yes
> write list = @elleme-users
>

> [Work]
> comment = Working file locatio
> path = /home/elleme/work
> read only = no
> public = yes
> write list = @elleme-users

Rather than commenting on all the other comments so far, I'll
just respond to the initial post.

You probably want to use smbpasswd to set the "windows"
password for the account.

If you want a "GUI" to add users and maintian Samba, install
webmin.

I have a FC3 machine with Samba that I access regularly from
XP Pro 2005. The samba passwords are stored in a different
file than the unix passwords and are encrypted with a MD5
type hash by default.

Hope this helps.

You may also want to punch some holes in your firewall.