Re: Logging out changes screen resolution.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 03:45:37PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 00:52 +0000, Philip Moller wrote:
>
> > When I log out from KDE and X into textmode (runlevel 3), the screen
> > resolution changes to colorsallad.
>
> I see a similar thing, but I'm using Gnome:
>
> As soon as the PC is running in level 5, the text mode virtual consoles
> get corrupted in different ways:  Occasionally yellow text on magenta
> backgrounds, or more often the usual white text and black background
> colours; but always with a blue border, and the first vertical set of
> pixels from the text belonging at the left of the screen being on the
> right hand side of the screen, right of the 80th column, and above it
> (sorry, but I don't know a way to provide a screenshot of a text mode
> screen).
>
> Dropping back to run level 3 doesn't help, the damage was done the
> moment run level 5 started.  If run level 5 was never started (e.g. I
> booted in run level 3 and stayed there) the screen is fine.
>
> > I have a s3virge dx graficcard.
> > Runing fc4 on a dell Optiplex GX110.
>
> Mine's an on-board i810 (very low spec, I know, but a bog standard
> chipset for a very long time), built into a Gigabyte 6WMMC7 motherboard
> (which has no AGP slot for a upgrading to a more decent graphic card).
> And it runs fine with Red Hat 9.0 and Fedora Core 3 Linux.
Well here is the thing. The file libvgahw.a is hinky on some hardware
in FC4. So there are two possible solutions. The one I know works is
to copy that file from a FC3 system. And I think updating the rpm that
gives us that file might solve some of your problems. Or maybe not,
but it is worth a try.

Dying is easy.  Comedy is difficult.
		-- Actor Edmond Gween, on his deathbed.
Aaron Konstam