Re: FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 02:24 -0700, Chris Kirk wrote:
> On 8/13/05, David Niemi <drn_temp2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > No I did not actually move it I just copied the files. I even did a
> > > full reinstall of FC4 and got nothing working.
> > >
> > > The computer I am on right now does not have a floppy drive so I went
> > > out and bought a floppy usb and I am creating the GRUB boot floppy
> > > disk and I will let you know if that works.
> > >
> > As was mentioned it just seems that grub didn't install properly.  Boot
> > the rescue CD / DVD with the "linux rescue" command.
> >
> > Once booted type "chroot /mnt/sysimage".  Now the root directory referes
> > to your install, not the ramdrive.  Change directory to /boot/grub and
> > check to see if the stage2 and grub.conf files exist as was mentioned.
>
> Hey,
>
> That does exist. I got a GRUB bootdisk from floppy from the
> LinuxForums.org Tutorial on GRUB about booting it up. So I got GRUB
> running from the Floppy and ran the following cmds from grub>
> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> and
> initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.img
> and then
> boot
>
> And it started up successfully!
>
> Yet when I take out the floppy and just try and boot from the Hard
> Drive It just loads the black screen with the writing
> GRUB Loading stage1.5
So, grub appears to be installed but not working properly. I don't know
much about that particular error.

Boot into linux using either your rescue CD or the boot disk. If you
booted into x-windows with the boot cd, log in as the user you created,
preferably not root at this point in time. If you booted using the CD
skip the next paragraph.

Open a terminal window and type "su -" and give your root password, to
become temporarily the superuser.

Type "cd /boot/root" and type "grub" and you will now be at the "grub>"
prompt.  Now issue the command "root (hd0,0)" to tell grub where it's
root device is installed to.

Next type "setup (hd0)" to install grub to the MBR. Now type "quit" to
exit grub.  Check that your grub.conf file refers to (hd0) with similar
lines to what you had above by typing "cat grub.conf".  Now hopefully it
should boot from the hard drive.

If you need to copy the grub files back to the /boot/grub directory of
your install, the original files should be located in a directory off
of /usr/share/grub/ depending on your install.