Re: OK guys - yum is "too smart"

From: "Phil Schaffner" <P.R.Schaffner@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Claude Jones" <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Friday 12 August 2005 6:00 pm, jdow wrote:
>> I am involved, to a slight degree, in testing spamassassin. So I >> cannot
>> update spamassassin via yum. It'll break my system badly. I have it
>> installed via other means.

By "other means" do you mean as a tarball-build, or otherwise not an RPM
package?

>> So how do I exclude spamassassin from the update and force the update >> for
>> evolution which should be perfectly happy with the spamassassin I have
>> installed?
>>
>> {^_^}
> Did you try this?
> yum --exclude=spamassassin update
>>From "man yum" (if you want more details) Exclude a specific package >>by
>>name
> or glob from updates on all repositories.

Yeah, but then I also have to exclude evolution. There should be a way to
force things to be "my way". {^_-}

Doesn't sound easy.  How about this?  Evolution requires spamassassin,
but no particular version.  You could perhaps package your version of
spamassassin as an RPM (assuming it is not already), giving it a higher
version # (or perhaps epoch) than the FC version, and put it in a local
yum repo.  That would make yum happy about your spamassassin but let it
update evolution.  Here's my repo entry for such a setup:

[prs@tabb1 ~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo
[local]
name=Local YUM Repository
baseurl=file:/usr/local/fedora/$releasever/local/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

At the moment I am using spamassassin with some enhancements from CPAN.
I expect soon to be using 3.10-rc<something> instead. (One of the SARE
rule ninjas uses the machine.) So I need the flexibility. I also noticed
that when I first brought Fedora 4 up the one feature that was terminally
crapped out was, tada, spamassassin. I already had a very well behaved
3.04 from the Mandrake I used for awhile. Unfortunately I had to force
feed SPF and DNS tests since what was present with Fedora Core 4 was
in one case absent and in the other case broken.

It looks like yum is indeed "too smart" and I will have to go back to
manually downloading evolution and installing it nodeps. I'd been hoping
to avoid that step.

{^_^}