Re: OK guys - yum is "too smart"

From: "Jeff Vian" <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Claude Jones" <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Friday 12 August 2005 6:00 pm, jdow wrote:
>> I am involved, to a slight degree, in testing spamassassin. So I >> cannot
>> update spamassassin via yum. It'll break my system badly. I have it
>> installed via other means.
>>
>> So how do I exclude spamassassin from the update and force the update >> for
>> evolution which should be perfectly happy with the spamassassin I have
>> installed?
>>
>> {^_^}
> Did you try this?
> yum --exclude=spamassassin update
>>From "man yum" (if you want more details) Exclude a specific package >>by
>>name
> or glob from updates on all repositories.

Yeah, but then I also have to exclude evolution. There should be a way to
force things to be "my way". {^_-}

You can have it "your way", in one of 2 ways.

1)  If the package was installed from rpm then insert an
--exclude=package clause for each package you are testing and do not
want to be included in the standard update.

2)  Do not install the packages being tested from rpm but instead from
source, and yum will not try to update them.

After all, yum uses the rpm database to find out what is installed.

Unfortunately exclude=spamassassin* include=evolution* fails. I cannot
FORCE evolution to load without abandoning yum and going back to more
prehistoric techniques.
{^_^}