Re: How to run rcp over crossover cable on crude network configuration

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 17:59 -0600, lin q wrote:
> Hi,
>   I just installed Fedora Core 3 on my laptop and I selected network support
> in installing. This laptop is basically used for me to try out Linux. I will
> not use this laptop to connect to any network, the only use of its ethernet
> connection is for me to transfer some big files to other machine. And I have
> some problem here.
>
>   I use a crossover cable to connect this laptop to my PC which is on my
> employer network, this PC is running Windows XP. I have cygwin installed on
> the PC.
>
>   I name the laptop IP address as 1.2.3.4 when i installed Fedora, obviously
> such address is not accessible from PC, so I run this command to add it to
> the routing table of PC,

Would be better off using an IP address in one of the private ranges so
it doesn't get routed. http://www.michna.com/kb/IpAddressesPrivate.htm

> Route add 1.2.3.4 mask 255.255.255.255 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx metric 1 if 3
>
> "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is the PC gateway address.
>
> Now from PC I ping 1.2.3.4 good, this basically tells me that IP connection
> between PC and laptop through crossover cable is good.
>
> Then I think I can run rcp to copy files, so in cygwin I run this,
>   rcp file_1 1.2.3.4.my_login_in_laptop:
>
> But what I get is:
>   1.2.3.4:Connection refused

My guess is either a firewall problem or nothing is listening on port
135 on the FC side.  Have you tried "service iptables stop"?

> I check the web and it seems i need to set up ~/.rhosts in laptop, but isn't
> true that it is only needed if I do not want to input password? Anyway, I
> created the file in laptop and its content is simply as,
>   + +
>
> this is to trust anyone on any machine, right?
>
> But rcp still has the same problem, connection refused.
>
> Is there any simple way to set up for rcp to run? I prefer not to bother
> about those dauting services like domain name resolution, you can see that
> my application is only a copy over crossover cable.

Even on this setup you would be well advised to use scp or "rsync --
rsh=ssh ...".  The rlogin family has severe and well-known security
problems.  Cygwin supports both ssh/scp and rsync.

Phil