How to run rcp over crossover cable on crude network configuration

Hi,
I just installed Fedora Core 3 on my laptop and I selected network support in installing. This laptop is basically used for me to try out Linux. I will not use this laptop to connect to any network, the only use of its ethernet connection is for me to transfer some big files to other machine. And I have some problem here.

I use a crossover cable to connect this laptop to my PC which is on my employer network, this PC is running Windows XP. I have cygwin installed on the PC.

I name the laptop IP address as 1.2.3.4 when i installed Fedora, obviously such address is not accessible from PC, so I run this command to add it to the routing table of PC,

Route add 1.2.3.4 mask 255.255.255.255 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx metric 1 if 3

"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is the PC gateway address.

Now from PC I ping 1.2.3.4 good, this basically tells me that IP connection between PC and laptop through crossover cable is good.

Then I think I can run rcp to copy files, so in cygwin I run this,
 rcp file_1 1.2.3.4.my_login_in_laptop:

But what I get is:
 1.2.3.4:Connection refused

I check the web and it seems i need to set up ~/.rhosts in laptop, but isn't true that it is only needed if I do not want to input password? Anyway, I created the file in laptop and its content is simply as,
 + +

this is to trust anyone on any machine, right?

But rcp still has the same problem, connection refused.

Is there any simple way to set up for rcp to run? I prefer not to bother about those dauting services like domain name resolution, you can see that my application is only a copy over crossover cable.

Thanks.