Re: D-Link 2100 AP no hijacking and extended = )

. m a r c o s a u g u s t o wrote:
Hi Claude, thanx for the reply..
I was in fedora's irc and a (patient) friend and I was trying to put
the AP as dhcp. So it is not the better approach ?

Let me explain my problem.

I got:

adsl modem <-> eth0 (192.168.1.9)
wireless ap <-> eth1 (192.168.0.1)

laptop <-> wireless ap (192.168.0.50)

I want to share my desktop with VNC, and have internet on the laptop.

So , it's better to leave AP DHCP off, and use Firestarter ?

I use this setup, and it works quite well. I don't have the
connections you need, but they should be easily added...

ADSL Modem <---> D-Link Router (wireless) <---> eth0 on desktop

I set the desktop to a fixed IP address

$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:76:DF:1B:0D
          inet addr:172.17.205.79  Bcast:172.17.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

and set up the Router to accept DHCP from the Modem (i.e.
from my ISP). I have no other machines connected, and have
disabled the wireless connection on the Router and removed
its antenna. (IOW, I use the router only for the firewall.)

Occasionally, I use another machine with this setup, and I
simply plug in an ethernet 100 base T into the router and
machine, and it browses with no problem.

If you recable as I show my setup, you should be able to
do the same thing, both with your wireless and by adding
other cables on an as-needed basis. To use this setup
it is no necessary to have fixed IP on the local side of
the router.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.