Re: FC3 Install fails on reboot - blinking cursor only

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:03 -0600,
larryharriman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> From: Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> larryharriman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I am a linux newbie - I am a convert from Windows 2000 and XP

> . It is a Pentium 2, 300
> | mhz machine with 320 MB of RAM. It has two drives, one is a 10 gig
> | drive(Primary) and a secondary drive that has 2 gig.
> |
> | I first tried the auto partioning in the fedora 3 install wizard, it
> | seemed to pick every correctly but after a successful install when
> the
> | machine goes to reboot it hangs with just a blinking cursor at the
> top
> | of the screen. I can't access a command prompt to do anything.
>
> Is the grub screen coming up? You say it "just hangs" on reboot, but
> presumably there are your BIOS screens first and then hopefully grub,
> and then it hangs? Or just your BIOS screens and then it dies trying
> start grub?
>
> Which HDD (10G, 2G) is it installed on and which is it trying to boot
> from?
>
> Andy,
>
> The boot partion and root are installed on 10 gig, all primary
> partions are on the 10 gig.
>
> It only goes through the BIOS, never gets to grub.

Larry:

First, the convention here on the list is to not top post, only bottom,
easier to follow a thread.

Which hard drive did you install FC3 to?  Is it the Primary or slave,
and if you can change the HD priority, has that been done?

Have you tried booting into rescue mode to see if everything installed
OK?  Insert the DVD or rescue CD and once you get the prompt type "linux
rescue"

If it finds your FC3 install, that went OK, and you probably don't have
grub installed properly.

Once booted into rescue mode type the "chroot /mnt/sysimage", this puts
you at the root of your installed directory structure.  Now
"cd /boot/grub" this is where your grub files are.  type "cat grub.conf"
and note which hd it is referring to.