Re: FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Robin Laing wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

Interesting idea. What is your cabling setup? How do you power?
In my experience, modern drives don't have much problems with
heat, unless they are exercised a lot. I have a USB drive which
is covered in papers on my desk, and it never gets very hot.

USB 2 is not all that slow, however.

Mike

I went through a similar case this week. Needed to get a bigger drive. I purchased a new drive and installed a clean version of FC4. Transfered all my data using the HD ribbon cable (Case won't support two drives) and then installed the old 60gig HD into a generic external case.

The only problem I had was that Western Digitals must be set for Cable Select to have the case work with the drive. I also hate the large blue LED illuminate bar on the case as it provides more light than the background light in my office.

Why must they be set to CS? And why is that a problem? I agree that
CS is decidely inferior to M/S setup, but what is the particular
problem? Wrong drive trying to be master because of where it is
on the cable? If so, yes, that is a major drawback to CS.

I find that cutting one leg of the LED with a pair of
dikes makes it much less bright.

Automounts both partitions in /media/

Whatever floats your boat. I use /mnt, but I don't automount
USB drives.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.