Re: disabling file:///home/user viewing in apache on fc3

On 8/10/05, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ankush Grover wrote:
> > hey friends,
> >
> >  Can anyone tell me how to disabling viewing any user's home directory
> > contents or any directory contents from the browser.
> >
> > If I do file:///home/user on the browser and then I  can see the
> > contents of that user's home directory ,even any user can see the root
> > or any other user's directory.I want to avoid this ,how can i disable
> > this on my computer. I am using FC3.

But it is a secruity breach.I can't read the files normally as the
chmod is 770 on users /home/user but through browser I can read the
files.

I did change the settings on home

chmod -R 700 /home/*

Now users can't view the other user's home directory through browser.

> Unix/Linux is designed to be open in this way. Regular users are
> supposed to be able to read most directories and files.
>
> If you want to stop users being able to access each other's home
> directories, just make the home directory permissions 750 or 770.

If i change home directory permission to 750 and 770 then normal users
can't login it.
The way to make them login is to create one group which will have
rights on home directory and make all the users member of that group.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover