Re: writing dir to DVD

Phil Schaffner wrote:
On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:21 -0700, w bugar wrote:

Sorry for a simple question, but can someone tell me
the commands and options (mkisofs, cdrecord I presume)
to throw a directory(s) to a DVD? I know someone will
say to use man but my machine just gives me a prompt
during the Checking Filesystem phase of booting and
man doesn't work.

Ouch!

You need to see which filesystem is whining.  Then you probably need to
fsck that filesystem.  This can take two forms:

	fsck -y /dev/hdax

(replace "x" with the partition of the offending filesystem) or

	fsck -y /fsname

(replace "/fsname" with the label of the filesystem).

The odds are that it's pooping out on /usr or /var (/usr/share/man is
where the man pages live), so "fsck -y /usr" should recover /usr
(if you used filesystem labels).  If you didn't use labels, check the
/etc/fstab file to see the device names of the partitions and use the
first form I mentioned above.  Be warned that you _may_ lose or truncate
some files during the fsck process (especially ones that were being
written to when the crash occurred).

I can still access /home so I'd like
to try to save it before trying a reload of FC4.
(cdrecord --scanbus returns 1,0,0)

Since you have e-mail access, hopefully you can also browse the web.
Can find man pages on-line.  You probably want growisofs for DVD, so try
a google on "man growisofs" (mkisofs|cdrecord|...)

One result from above:
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/growisofs1.html

Here's a bit from the growisofs man page that may be helpful.
EXAMPLES
       Actual  device names vary from one operating system to another. We use
       /dev/dvd as a collective name or as symbolic link to the actual device
       if  you  wish.  Under  Linux it will most likely be an ide-scsi device
       such as "/dev/scd0." Under NetBSD/OpenBSD it has  to  be  a  character
       SCSI  CD-ROM device such as "/dev/rcd0c." Under Solaris it also has to
       be a character SCSI/ATAPI CD-ROM device, e.g.  "/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2" or
       "/vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0." And likewise in HP-UX and IRIX...

       To master and burn an ISO9660 volume with Joliet and Rock-Ridge exten-
       sions on a DVD:

            growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files

       To append more data to same DVD:

            growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files

       Make sure to use the same options for both inital burning and  follow-
       ing sessions.

Good luck,
Phil

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -