RE: Playing DVD's

Hello!
My experience with playing DVD's in Linux (any distro) has been a real battle. There are some people out there that claim they were able to play DVD's out of the box, but conveniently, none of them can explain how they got it to work. I do know for sure you need a dvd decrypter, which can be found on either freshmeat downloads or sourceforge. I apologize for not being able to remember the names of the packages. There are also a few other packages you need, like a menu reader and a playback package. Also, a VERY good source for information on DVD playback in Linux is a web site at http://www.linuxquestions.org and search for the issue you are having. This web site is a WEALTH of information. I hope this helps you out.

Billy

From: Mark Knights <naron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Playing DVD's
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:38:00 +1000

Hi all,

I thought the Totem Movie player would be able to show DVD's but when I put a DVD in my DVD ROM it is not giving me the option to play the disc and when I hit the play disc command under the movie menue it tells me that;

Totem could not play 'dvd://'.
No URI handler implemented for "dvd://"

Do I need to add a plugin or there are more sinister forces at work?

Cheers

Mark