Re: Information and Recommendations: Repartition

Paul Howarth wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Question 1: If there is no valid partition table, then how did I do
a mount?

Disks have partition tables, partitions don't. You probably meant:

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

What a BONEHEAD! Of course! Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

:-)

Now, concerning repartitioning. I installed FC2 last October on
a Compaq Presario. It is now a dual-boot system with Windows XP
bootloader managing a secondary boot to GRUB which manages
the Linux boot. Placing GRUB into the MBR is not an option on
this machine, as it causes F10 auto-recovery to begin.

I used resizentfs and parted when I did the install, intending
to make XP and Linux have about 20G apiece on this 40G drive.
But I flubbed something, and Linux now has only 7G. It looks
like this:

# fdisk -l /dev/hda

[snip details]

# mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /boot type ext3 (rw)

I believe that /dev/hda1 is the "Compaq Recovery" partition,
/dev/hda2 is the Windows XP boot, /dev/hda5 and /hdev/hda6
are the logical volumes I created inside /dev/hda4.

These are "logical partitions", not "logical volumes" - there is a difference.

Erm, yes. I realize that. Sloppy use of language. Sorry.

Is there any simple way of doing another resize/parted which
can make this setup more like what I originally intended, or
am I basically SOL? (IOW, re-install time?)

You could shrink hda2 to 15G or so, expand hda4 to include the recivered space, move hda5 to the start of hda4 and then size it to include the extra space up to the start of hda6. But I'd be inclined just to reinstall personally.

What tools are capable of performing these feats of magic?

If re-install is needed, what is the recommended new partition
layout? (I realize that the answer here is partially a matter
of taste.)

Indeed it is. Also a matter of what your requirements are.

I'd like to get Linux about 1/2 of the disc, or maybe somewhat
more, maybe 2/3. I realize that swap space is more a black art
than a science, as well. I hardly ever boot XP. But some contract
work I'm doing requires me to test under a few versions of Windows.
I have a Windows 98 machine, and this machine (dual boot) for
Windows XP. Mostly I build/test under FC. But the actual targets
are SCO and Windows console. I happen to prefer the Linux environment
to either Windows (any flavor) or SCO. And I try to write my code
to be as portable as possible, so I deliver source, and they compile
for SCO and Windows Console, and it (mostly) works.

If I had another bay in my machine, I'd add an internal hard drive,
and let XP own one drive and Linux own the other.

Thanks.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.