Re: Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

--- Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday 07 August 2005 18:12, Jeff Vian wrote:
> [...]
> >The only caveat I have is that generally CDROM/DVDROM devices should
> >never be master to a hard disk so that should be remembered when
> >installing devices/cables. Otherwise CS settings just work.
>
> Thats odd, at least for here.  Here I have a dvd writer as /dev/hdc,
> and a 200gig drive as /dev/hdd.  Its the virtual tapes for amanda.
> It Just Works(TM).

I believe the reason that you do not want to pair up optical drives
and hard drives has to do with buss performance.

I am not sure what the ratings of the newer optical drives are, but
when I built my system, the CD-RW only performed at udma 66 mhz
speeds while the hard drives were  udma 100 mhz.

Thus, I put my optical drives together on the 2nd IDE controller and
the hard drives together on the 1st one.