Re: Sendmail user mail file missing - Again

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 11:30 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> David Niemi wrote:

> >>I don't have any problems with local mail coming to my user.
> >>
> >>There are 3 steps involved.
> >>
> >>1.  The aliases file must be edited to tell mail to transfer mail for
> >>root to your user.  It must have a line such as:
> >>      root:           user
> >>
> >>2.  Then the command "newaliases" must be run to put that in the
> >>database actually used.
> >>
> >>3.  The old mail file for root should be transferred to your user. (This
> >>is not necessary but is nice so all of root's mail has been gotten.)
> >>  What I do is make sure my users mail file is empty (has size = 0 ),
> >>then in the /var/spool/mail directory I first look at the ownership of
> >>the users mail file (it should be owner "user" group "mail").  I then do
> >>a "mv root user" followed by a "chown user:mail user"
> >

> > Thanks for the tips, I tried it an the user still doesn't receive the
> > messages from the cron jobs via aliases.  Yes, I did verify that the
> > name to receive the root email is correct and I did run newaliases.
> >
> > I created another user and for this user the mail file was automatically
> > created when the user was created.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Is there a .procmailrc file in the home directory of the "problem" user?
> If so, what does it contain?

There is no .procmailrc file in the home directory (/home/daven) of the
user, nor is there in the FC3 backup of the user folder.  Once the user
was created and I was finally able to log in I only copied over the user
files and the .evolution and the .mozilla directories. I was leary of
copying anything else forward unless I found I needed it.