Re: Running a script at boot

Claude Jones wrote:
On Sun August 7 2005 3:35 pm, Steven Stern wrote:

See "man 5 crontab"

 These  special  time  specification  "nicknames"  are  supported, which
       replace the 5 initial time and date fields, and are prefixed by
the ’@’
       character:
       @reboot    :    Run once, at startup.
       @yearly    :    Run once a year, ie.  "0 0 1 1 *".
       @annually  :    Run once a year, ie.  "0 0 1 1 *".
       @monthly   :    Run once a month, ie. "0 0 1 * *".
       @weekly    :    Run once a week, ie.  "0 0 * * 0".
       @daily     :    Run once a day, ie.   "0 0 * * *".
       @hourly    :    Run once an hour, ie. "0 * * * *".

I just read this, because I'm interested as well. It raises a question. Doesn't the Linux boot-sequence have a very specific ordering, with the number values of each service determining their sequence in the stack, and rc.local being last? If so, when does the script get executed using the crontab @reboot method? There didn't seem to be anything in the man page about that - am I missing something?

in /etc/rc3.d, cron is started by S90cron. So, it runs very soon after cron starts. At startup, the "S" files are executed in order.

--

  Steve