Re: Running a script at boot

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 8/7/05, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Simple question: how do I start a script that must be run as root at
boot? I've been googleing and I came across chkconfig, but I don't
want to mess with it for the first time alone.

I've also poked around in MARC for "running script startup" on the
fedora-list and others. The only thing that seemed relevant was a post
for SUSE where the following was suggested:
ln -s /usr/sbin/myscript /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99myscript

Is this relevant for FC4 as well? Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/202/fleetwood_mac.php
Fleetwood Mac Song Lyrics

Run the script from root's crontab

@reboot /path/to/my/script

  Steve

I just went googleing with what you wrote, and didn't come up with
anything. In other words, nowhere has this ever been suggested (so far
as google knows).

I will try it, though. Just so that I won't have to reboot the
computer three times: will this cause the script to start only on the
next reboot, or on all reboots? Thanks.

See "man 5 crontab"

 These  special  time  specification  "nicknames"  are  supported, which
replace the 5 initial time and date fields, and are prefixed by the ’@’
       character:
       @reboot    :    Run once, at startup.
       @yearly    :    Run once a year, ie.  "0 0 1 1 *".