Re: Choosing YUM Repositories

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 09:52:39AM +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> I appreciate your efforts very much and use atrpms for a long time
> now.  Didn't intended to hurt you (just to clarify)

Thanks, and noone hurt me, I was claryfing things, too :)

> and didn't want to reactivate the old discussion.

Well, it's all in the archives, so it's a repetion of arguments, but
it still comes up occasionally. Anyway, you're asking, so I'm giving
back the canned answers (ATrpms should have an FAQ, I guess).

> > There was nothing wrong with that, and there was nothing wrong
> > with RH deciding to define the core and extras repos to not
> > replace packages in each other. As there is nothing wrong with 3rd
> > party repos replacing packages in core.

> You are right, but it may be a problem, if a repo replaces packages
> without the user beeing aware of it. And it is quite difficult to
> use yours or dag's repo sometimes. If you do a yum update with all
> repos activated, some packages will be updated by your repo or
> dag's, weather those packages I use from your repo require it or
> not!  That is definitely a problem, I think. And such a replacement
> may introduce problems for other software which are not visible in
> terms of the rpm classifications.

A package may introduce problems whether it formally replaces another
one or not. Think of kernel modules packages (kmdls). If you want to
play it safe, then disallowing replacements comes far after
disallowing kernel modifications. Still noone seems to care about
that. So I can only derive that these arguments are not really about
stability of the system.

I still think this is a political tool to distinguish some repos from
others. Where there hasn't been a major repo not doing the replacement
business in really critical packages.

> A first step might be to differentiate your repo in atrpms/extra and
> atrpm/addon, where the later contains packages which require a
> replacement of core packages and those replacement packages.

Why? Consider the next logical step, that any package depending on the
replaced packages would need to be in the "replaments" repo just the
same. And the replaced packages are mainly made for supporting *other
packages*. So at the end you end up with only a couple of packages in
the non-replacement repo, which by definition are the simple
self-sustained packages.

Not to mention that others request to split of "alternatives" repos,
others "patent-encoumbered" ones and so one. So at the end, you will
have "extras", "alternatives", "add-ons", "non-us" and this times
three for the stability classes.

The trouble isn't worth the benefits, even more so when the benefits
are for countering witch-hunting. As soon as you manage to close the
pseudo-arguments, new ones will pop up.

And a final remark: All major repos are community efforts today, so
anyone that wants to change something in one of the major repos, their
policies, packaging styles, packages themselves, can join the
respective developer/maintainer teams and try to perform the changes
from inside. As anything in the OSS world, if you want to see
something changed, get involved (isn't that why there are repos out
ther in the first place ...).

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net