Re: Choosing YUM Repositories

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 10:57:36AM +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 05.08.2005, 18:46 -1000 schrieb Ping-Wu Zhang:
> > I have heard that it is not a good idea to mix YUM repositories
> > belonging to different "camps".  Apparently, there are two camps which
> > should not be commingled:
> >
> > 1.  The default Fedora extra + Livna
> > 2.  Everyone else (including dag, Freshrpms, etc.)

That's true for the one side, as it is known that (in the past at
least) 1. would not cooperate with 2.
Perhaps this has or will change, you're the community, demand that
change.

On the other hand the praxis shows that there are surpisingly only
very few conflicts when throwing everything together. Try out the
medley-package-config that activates all repos and see for
yourself. You'll be sitting on almost 7000 packages to choose
from. ...

It is sad that it looks like only few little efford is needed to
straighten out any remaining incompatibilities, but still nothing
happens. It is just a matter of politics.

> Mixing these repositories is mostly not a ig issue. You may read
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D for more info.
>
> Especially with atrpms and sometimes with dag they update some fedora
> core packages which is a no-no according to the extra's policy.

So what? As you say that's extras' policy not atrpms' or dag's. And
the origin and rationale of this policy is undefined to say at least.

Note that the predecessor of extras, fedora.us certainly did replace
core packages in RHL and FC1 like for instance shadow-utils, rpm or
gpg stuff.

There was nothing wrong with that, and there was nothing wrong with RH
deciding to define the core and extras repos to not replace packages
in each other. As there is nothing wrong with 3rd party repos
replacing packages in core.

> If you use yum to update your system (and have dag and atrpms
> activated) it is not a problem in everyday life (it is in
> theory). If you use up2date, there may arise a problem sometimes.

That is true, up2date is sometimes confused. Better use yum or smart
or apt.

> If you wich to use the safe way, you should configure the other
> repositories, but don't activate them by default (enabled=0 in the repo
> file). If you look for a specific solftware package you may
>
>   yum --enablerepro=[deactiveRepoName] search [myNeededSoftware]
>
> And if one of the alternative repos has it, you may install it from
> there in the same way.

which creates more bugs than it solves. The replaced packages in core
are not for the sports of it. Sometimes they are because other
packages require features in them that the core packages do not offer.

Doing it by temporary enabling a repo (or even with
priorities/weight settings like apt/smart do) leads to broken
setups.

If you don't trust a repo, don't use anything from it. It will make
your life and the repo maintainers' lives far easier, as diagnosing
these problems are a nightmare.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net