Re: dual boot fc4 and rawhide

Xavier Toth wrote:

I added the suggested "Development" title to my /boot/grub/grub.conf
but when I select it I get:  Error 13: Invalid or unsupported
executeable format
"chainloader" reads the sector ("+1" ) of the root in my case hd1,0 is
this the correct sector? One thing I didn't mention is that I'm using
SATA drives.

If you boot your secondary installation and perform grub-install /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/hdb1, it would be more appropriate. I believe I assumed /dev/hdx vs. /dev/sdx.

To me, it sounds like it has no grub installed at that location. I have my boot partition on my secondary drive set to active as well as my primary boot partition set to active. This might not be needed, though I had a problem with grub before where this setting cured the problem That I was having.

Hopefully installing grub to /dev/sdb1 gets you on your way, editing entries is sort of a nightmare once you are used to chainloading each install.

If that does not solve your problem, the output of "fdisk -l" might help lead to someone coming up with a solution for your setup.

Jim

PS _ read further down for lvm comments:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
password --md5
default=0
fallback=2
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Rawhide (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp)
     root (hd1,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb quiet
     initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp.img
title Rawhide (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
     root (hd1,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
     initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
You may need to change your VolGroup/LogVol information for one of the installations. Your best bet would be to reinstall Development on the secondary, clean everything off /dev/sdb and allow the installer to name the volumes automatically. When redoing the rawhide installation, choose advanced bootloader options and install grub in /dev/sdb1.

Any takers on how to rename volumes in LVMs?

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp)
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb quiet
     initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
     initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

The easiest way to boot many different operating systems is to install a
secondary systems grub into its boot partition. Then from the
installatiion where grub is installed into the master boot record,
chainload the secondary installation in much th same way that foreign
operating systems are booted by grub.

Chainloader ....

After your installation installed in the MBR starts to chainload your
secondary installation, the primary installation is out of the picture
and each controls their own kernel stanza removals and additions. I boot
4 installations this way. (ME, FC3, FC4 and development.)

For the primary installation add to grub.conf something like the below
stanza.

title Development
       rootnoverify (hd1,0)
       chainloader +1

--
The whole history of computers is rampant with cheerleading at best and
bigotry at worst.