Re: DNS delay with FireFox on FC4

Glenn Meyer wrote:
I've noticed on two separate installations that there is a significant delay for DNS resolution using either FireFox or Thunderbird. Other utils like wget, ping, and others do not have this delay (sometimes like 20 seconds) for DNS resolution.

Has anyone else seen this?  Anything I can do about it?

You could try disabling IPv6 DNS lookups. It's in the Firefox config, open "about:config" in the location bar. Then put "dns" into the config option search bar. You should see an option named "network.dns.disableIPv6". It's set to 'false' by default, which, I _think_, makes Firefox try IPv6 first, then fallback to IPv4 if the name server doesn't reply properly. Anyway, try setting this option to 'true', and see if that helps.

You could also try disabling IPv6 globally by adding the line
alias net-pf-10 off
to /etc/modprobe.conf, and then reboot.

Øyvind.
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
 < http://www.oyvind.nu/