Re: cannot install Redhat Linux

Hongyu Sun wrote:

> Later on in your post you mention /dev/sda4 as a partition.

 That was a typo. Should be /dev/hda4

I wasn't sure who typed the /dev/sda4 in the posting that I read through.

> 10 gig is a bit small for a modern Linux installation. Ext3 is a
> common choice for Fedora.

 I am thinking I will buy a new piece of hard drive. Will that work?

You could run several hard drives, depending on your computer type.

 Seems Fedora only recognize 4 partitions.

There was some standard setup long ago. 4 primary partitions. There is an explanation later on the scheme used in this thread. You can have 3 primary partitions and a partition considered an extended partition which can contain other partitons within the extended partition. As an example, here is the scheme I use on my laptop.

/dev/hda1   *           1        2111    16956576    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2            2112        2124      104422+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3            2125        3399    10241437+  83  Linux
/dev/hda4            3400        4864    11767612+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5            3400        4674    10241406   83  Linux
/dev/hda6            4675        4805     1052226   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda7            4806        4864      473886    b  W95 FAT32

The extended partition is like a container, it is has a starting and ending start and end. Within the container are actual partitions 5 through 7. Each partition can be any of a variety of types. I hope this gives you some insight into the partitoning scheme.

My current hard drive
 already have 4. Will Fedora recognize the new hard drive?

Other than setting up the jumpers correctly for master and slave or correct cabling for chip select, yes, Fedora should recognize the new drive. Keep in mind the explanation in anothe post and my comments above for selecting partitioning schemes.

> I hope that I'm not misleading you here. Viewing this original
> posting, I don't see mention of /dev/sda4 on your part. I read the
> thread before posting and assumed the input was from you.

 What is the difference between /dev/sda4 and /dev/hda4? Sorry I had a
 typo. Should be hda

I believe SATA drives and USB hard drives are usually recognized as sda. (SCSI drives) CF cards plugged into the CPU board slots and IDE/ATA drives are usually recognized as hdx

 I have a confusion about Fedora and Redhat 9.x. I need Redhat 9.x to
 install a software http://software.sci.utah.edu/.

Fedora 1 (2.4 kernel) is what was to be RHL 10. Plans changed and Fedora merged with RHL to become Fedora Core. The program might need a 2.4 kernel and later Fedora after FC1 use the 2.6 kernel. I couldn't tell you if later versions of Fedora and your program would be compatible. You can run tests later to see if the program will still work.

That's why I install Linux. I need to double make sure Fedora is compatible with Redhat 9.x?

Give it a try on another system.

 Many thanks,

Good luck!

Jim

 HS

--
"A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line today.  The results blacked
out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."