Re: cannot install Redhat Linux

Hongyu Sun wrote:

HI, All:

I downloaded and burned 4 CDs from
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html.

Then I tried to install Linux to my WinXP desktop machine. I have 10GB
on this machine which is pre-allocated for Linux before I install the
WinXP. Windows cannot see this 10GB.
You could install programs where you can read and maybe even write linux partitions from Windows. By default windows doesn't know about Linux partitions.

I have been frustrated with installation. I have installed several
times. But each time when I restart, I enter in Windows. I cannot see
any trace of Linux.
Later on in your post you mention /dev/sda4 as a partition. You might try to boot disk 1 and type linux rescue at the prompt. Once the rescue mode is started, the installer *should* find your new installation. You should get a prompt telling you that your installation was mounted as /mnt/sysimage and you need to type chroot /mnt/sysimage to access the distribution. Since you might have /dev/hda as th place grub was installed, it might not have installed grub in /dev/sda where it sounds like the location grub should have been installed. Run "grub-install /dev/sda" and see if your system will boot into Linux on the next shot. Type reboot and press enter and your system should rebot.

I have some questions on the installation. The automatic partition
does not work. And I had to use manual partition. Since I have that
10GB. I just chose it and mount it as "\" (root).

Should be / (root). If you are trying to setup an LVM instead of just one partition formatted as ext3, it will not boot. /boot needs to be outside the LVM.

Since a root is
required. I cannot partition the suggested swap disk. It just does not
work for me. I don't know what format I should format the disk. But
the only one working is "ext3".

10 gig is a bit small for a modern Linux installation. Ext3 is a common choice for Fedora.

Another question is how to set the double boot mode? It seems in the
installation I set up this. But it just does not work at all.
Fedora usually has your M$ installation detected and added as a boot choice if any bootable M$ system is instaled on your computer. I believe the choice is called other by default and can be changed to DOS, ME, XP or any other desired name.

Finally it said the installation is complete and I can reboot. But I
am entered to Windows again.
This is probably because it "installed" grub (the boot loader which allows you to choose alternative OS and also boots kernel for Linux with instructions to kernel/system.) It sounds like /dev/sda is where grub should be installed.

I cannot find any documentation on the installation. Somebody told me,
Redhat is good for beginners. But I still cannot follow.

If you view the Linux CD in windows, you should see release notes and other documentation.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

HS

I hope that I'm not misleading you here. Viewing this original posting, I don't see mention of /dev/sda4 on your part. I read the thread before posting and assumed the input was from you.

Anyways, this list will get you on your way to using Linux. I think that there might be easier for beginners distributions of Linux, though Fedora is pretty easy to use also.

Welcome,

Jim

--
I'm sorry a pentium won't do, you need an SGI to connect with us.