Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> The machine does not run if I do a clean install,
>
> So your workaround for the bug was to upgrade just so you
> kept the old modprobe.conf...  Another approach that should
> have worked would have been to boot the install CD in
> rescue mode after your clean install failed to boot itself,
> add the correct line for the aic7xxx module, and rebuild
> the initrd image with the mkinitrd command.

Actually, as I explained early in this rather long thread
that was exactly what I did,
except that I used Knoppix rather than the Fedora CD,
which for some reason did not work in rescue mode.
I also had a second solution, which was not to format /boot
(which is on a separate partition)
so that old kernels were available,
and I only had to restore the old grub.conf ,
which I did with a tomsrtbt floppy.

However, the only point I am trying to make
is that when I followed the instructions to make a clean install
it did not work, for reasons which I have already explained
(many times).

> The difference
> is that now you don't know precisely what else you still
> have left over from the last system besides the part that
> luckily works around a new bug.  The effects from the other
> parts may not be so lucky for you.

I don't know what you mean.
I have never had any problems of this kind when upgrading.
The main advantage of upgrading as far as I am concerned
is that you don't have to worry about re-writing
CUPS config files, etc.

But my original point remains:
people should not be so dogmatic about what works or does not work,
based on their experience with one (or even several) machines.
The fact that FC4 works without any problem on one machine
does not show that it will work on every machine in the world,
and that if it doesn't then the user must be a fool.

On the other hand, the fact that you have a problem installing FC-4
(or even three problems, like the OP)
does not mean that Fedora is a disaster.
It just means you have to knuckle down and analyse the cause of the failure.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366