Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 17, Issue 134

Jerry W. Whitmire wrote:

Message: 18
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:17:30 -0400
From: Doug Stewart <dstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: sound in root
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jerry W. Whitmire wrote:
Hi i have a problem as root and my sound system it is
vendor intel
model corporation 8280/fb/fbm/fw/frw/ich6 familf ac 97 audio controller
module intel 8x0.
the problem is it does not work as root but if i run as user it works just fine .when i boot to root it says sound server will use the null output device .
device default cant open for playback invalid argument.
can i get some help with this THANKS for any help!!!
You shouldn't be logging in as root. Log in only as a regular user and use su or sudo to accomplish tasks that require root-level access. It's extremely bad *NIX practice to log in as root and such behavior should be avoided whenever possible.

--
----------
Doug Stewart

Man this really throw me off track if something is broken as root do not use root. leave it broken and go to user where it is not broken!!
That is not what he said.

How far will Fedora get if this kind of mentallaty is used ??
If you look closely, you'll see that he is not a Fedora developer. Or at
least seems not to be.

Boy why did i not think of that myself ??
Lack of imagination? Inability to understand plain English? Sarcastic
irritating attitude?

I could continue to guess, but I'm getting tired.

Mike