Language Setting in Linux

Hello list,

I have a few questions regarding system language setting. I could not locate a
pointed source to get answers. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

1. When one sets language in fedora ( I suppose /etc/sysconfig/i18n ) does it
set language for the window managers too ? and for all the applications ?

2.  Can the system language be different from WM language ? I know how to set
WM language for KDE. But where is the setting available for Gnome ?

3. How does one know options available for system language setting?

4. Where does one look into to know available languages for the system ?

Thanks,

Parameshwara Bhat