fedora-list Digest, Vol 17, Issue 134

>Message: 18
>Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:17:30 -0400
>From: Doug Stewart <dstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: sound in root
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Jerry W. Whitmire wrote:
>> Hi i have a problem as root and my sound system it is
>> vendor intel
>> model corporation 8280/fb/fbm/fw/frw/ich6 familf ac 97 audio controller
>> module intel 8x0.
>> the problem is it does not work as root but if i run as user it works just fine .when i boot to root it says sound server will use the null output device .
>> device default cant open for playback invalid argument.
>> can i get some help with this THANKS for any help!!!
>>

>You shouldn't be logging in as root.  Log in only as a regular user and
>use su or sudo to accomplish tasks that require root-level access.  It's
>extremely bad *NIX practice to log in as root and such behavior should
>be avoided whenever possible.
>
>--
>----------
>Doug Stewart
>Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
>Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs
>dstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Man this really throw me off track if something is broken as root do not use root. leave it broken and go to user where it is not broken!!
How far will Fedora get if this kind of mentallaty is used ??
Boy why did i not think of that myself ??
Jerry W. Whitmire
Just a user of Fedora.
jerryw4386@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.