Re: Browsers for those IE-only sites

On 6/27/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This still does not justify not using the "Standards.'  Oh, yea, I
> have to remember that Microsoft is the expert at not using "standards"
> in both IE and their Java.  Of course sites depending on MS java are
> having problems with those that don't have the MS version of Java anymore.

In my opinion there are two sets of 'standards': The W3C/Sun/anything
and Microsoft. The new MSN Search give me an unformated page and tells
me that their stylesheet is not compatable with my browser. At least
they don't dare say that my browser is not compatable with their
stylesheet!

I will go so far as to suggest that Microsoft deliberatly broke the
stylesheets to 'force' people to use IE. I hope that in the end, it
will turn out that they just forced people use Google.

> This sounds like a font problem.  I have ran into it myself.  The
> pages open blank but actually have text.  I agree that it is a pain.
> I had to select all the text and then change the font if I am correct.

I will check that. Thank you.

> You are not the only person that has pointed this out.  Now there has
> been suggestions on how to speed up FC4 but I don't know the answer.
> Some have said it is much slower than FC3 and could depend on
> hardware.  Search the archives on this one.

I will look into this. It was also slow in FC3, but not this bad. I'm
on a 1.3 Duron box with 512mb ram. It shouldn't be slow.

> Yuch.  Now if you could only bill Microsoft for the lost time.

No biggie. I didn't bill Redhat for 4 coasters than I burned with FC3
from their site. But I did learn to use mirrors!

> I solved my problem by using a D-Link DSL router/hub.  It deals with
> all the Internet connection aspects.

I got it to connect without a router. In another thread, I'm trying to
connect two machines (FC4 and WinXP) to the net without a router. I
just don't want to spend 250 shekels on another heater under my desk.
It's hot enough!

> Robin Laing

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/131/counting_crows.php