Re: Dialup

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:25:40PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

Thomas W. Cranston wrote:

Hi

I am Linux newbie. I am A+ certified (I know-big deal)

I just installed Fedora Core 3 2004-11-03. I used System Settings -
Network - Query - entered Password for root - Network Configuration - My
USR internal hardware Modem shows up as ppp0.

Nothing happens when I activate it. Its volume is set at very loud.

I can get out on the web using that machine, running Damm Small Linux
(DSL)form the CD player and RAM, so that tells me that there is not a
hardware problem.

I do not see any way to select authentication methods from the Network
Configuration. (PAP, Chat, or CHAP) I do not see an option to configure
my modem to .......S4 (comm 5) Where USR Modems usually configure to.
This is where I place it when running DSL. I find it odd that a lot of
Linux distros automatically configure the modem to .....S0 (comm 1), as
most hardware modems are USR (at least in this part of the world), and
they configure to ....S4. How do I make these choices?

Now comes the big question

I tried tail -f /var/log/messages, and got permission denied.

I am assuming that I have root permissions, as I created a root password
during the installation, as well as a User name and a password. I use my
root password to use the network configuration application.

You could also try the command-line program "wvdial" as an option for
setting up an Internet connection.

Paul.

system-config-network configures wvdial and is easier to use than
figuring out the wvdial.conf. You device is simply /dev/ttySx where x
is where you decide on which serial port you are using. I is somewhat
tedious since you have to be sure you enter everything like ip number
gateway, etc correctly but it works pretty well. Then you want to use
the applet modem lights to your task bar to do the connects and
disconnects.