FC3->FC4 Required Reinstall

Hi, Guys
Pardon me if this is old stuff; I've been away from my usual email account for a while and had to dump most of the traffic during that period. While I was out of touch, I took the time to download the FC4 images and (tried to) upgrade my aged IBM NetVista (450 MHz P-II, 256 MB) from FC3 to FC4 as I had for every release transition since Fedora went live. Three times the upgrade started (slowly) and crept along for up to 24 hours before stalling somewhere shortly after beginning to install packages from the first CD. I finally gave up on that approach and did a complete reinstall, after backing up my /home partition. The entire install, including waiting for me to get back to my "data center" to swap CDs, took about 8 hours. I'm done with the upgrade now, including setting up my configuration again, but if thewre IS a reason why the FC3 -> FC4 upgrade is not possible this may save someone else a few days of futile waiting.
While on the subject, can anyone point me to the preferred apt repositories for FC4? I installed apt from the Extras, but the sources and vendors files in /etc/apt were dummies. The prototypes from apt.freshrpms.net hadn't been upgraded for FC4, and manually editing (3 to 4 where appropriate) didn't work, either.
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn