Re: smartd error messages: OfflineUncorrectableSector, CurrentPendingSector

Just for followup on this --

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:43:21 +0900
I <rees@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Okay, on the stuff below, I used lvdisplay -m to show the extents. I
> used bc to figure out that I have 65536 sectors in an extent, and I was
> then able to tentatively locate the bad sector at 2735304 sectors in on
> my /var/tmp volume by subtracting out the starting sector of the LVM
> physical partition.
>
> (There's enough room there, I suppose I could just use lvm to shrink the
> partition, and then forget about the bad sector and not use LVM next
> time.)
>
> I tried using tune2fs -l /dev/hda3 to figure out the logical blocks, but
> it says "bad magic in superblock". debugfs was similarly cooperative.

To me it was a sort of stab in the dark, but I tried using the logical
volume name as the device, ergo, /dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp, and both tune2fs
and debugfs worked more or less as advertised. In other words,

    tune2fs -l /dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp

and

    debugfs /dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp

I say more or less because the math was a little off, I'm not sure why.
Anyway, I was able to confirm that the bad sectors were not in any file,
so I went ahead and used dd to write zeros.

I got mixed results. First I tried writing blocks offset from
/dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp, but that didn't seem to do anything. I checked
that I had the right blocks, using

    dd if=/dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp bs=4096 skip=<65something/> of=/dev/nul count=1

and then I wrote zeros to those blocks

    dd if=/dev/zero bs=4096 of=/dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp seek=<65something/> count=1

and synced and checked again and no change. So I tried writing sectors
(all eight of the ones that I had confirmed had errors on read) and that
seemed to move things. Specifically, reading offset from
/dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp, I could not find the bad sectors. But reading
offset from /dev/hda

    dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 skip=72411953 of=/dev/null count=1

and so forth still gave me input errors. Mucking about, I finally found
that I would still get input errors in /dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp, but now
they were about 80 sectors above where they had been before. That was
Friday night. I was guessing this was one of those ATAPI caching games,
but I was out of time and went home.

This morning, I ran smartctl -t long /dev/hda, and all the errors in the
/dev/wkVolGrp/vartmp volume had gone away. In their place I get eight
errors in a fairly low address, 2273463 as reported by smartctl -a.
Fortunately (?), that's in the swapping volume, which is a regular
physical partition, and I have enough RAM to avoid swap for the time
being. So I shut off swap and tried writing zeros to those sectors
again:

    dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 of=/dev/hda seek=2273463 count=1

But I got I/O errors on the writes. I tried syncing anyway, but
smartctl -a reports no changes.

So, once again,

--
Joel Rees   <rees@xxxxxxxxxxx>