Re: FC4 "sudo su -" breaks root's access to X server

Am So, den 26.06.2005 schrieb Jonathan Berry um 6:15:

> I've noticed that with FC4 if I use "sudo su -" to get a root shell
> and try to open an X application (like a GUI text editor, for
> instance) I get the error:
> Xlib: No protocol specified
> GUI programs work just fine using "su -" and "sudo -s"  Running
> "export" in all three cases shows the "su -" creates a .xauthXXXXXX
> file and assigns the XAUTHORITY variable.  "sudo -s" doesn't change
> the environment, so it uses the same file that my user does
> (~/.Xauthority).  However, "sudo su -" does not create the needed
> .xauth file or assign the variable.  This used to work in FC3.  Does
> anyone know what has changed to change this behavior?
> Another interesting data point: if I become root with "su -" and run
> "su -" again, I get the same problem.  And I suppose this is in effect
> (almost) what "sudo su -" is doing.  However, using "su - <user>" for
> the same user works multiple times without breaking X apps.
> I might change to using "sudo -s" but this unfortunately does not set
> root's environment.
>
> Jonathan

As Michael said, there is somewhere a bug. In a different case it helped
to run "xhost +local:root" to give root permission to the X server. You
may run this in conjunction of "su -".

Alexander

Serendipity 16:22:54 up 23:15, 17 users, 0.02, 0.11, 0.08