FC4 "sudo su -" breaks root's access to X server

Hi all,

I've noticed that with FC4 if I use "sudo su -" to get a root shell
and try to open an X application (like a GUI text editor, for
instance) I get the error:
Xlib: No protocol specified
GUI programs work just fine using "su -" and "sudo -s"  Running
"export" in all three cases shows the "su -" creates a .xauthXXXXXX
file and assigns the XAUTHORITY variable.  "sudo -s" doesn't change
the environment, so it uses the same file that my user does
(~/.Xauthority).  However, "sudo su -" does not create the needed
.xauth file or assign the variable.  This used to work in FC3.  Does
anyone know what has changed to change this behavior?
Another interesting data point: if I become root with "su -" and run
"su -" again, I get the same problem.  And I suppose this is in effect
(almost) what "sudo su -" is doing.  However, using "su - <user>" for
the same user works multiple times without breaking X apps.
I might change to using "sudo -s" but this unfortunately does not set
root's environment.

Jonathan