Re: Connecting 2 computers to the internet

On 6/25/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Which way you choose depends on how easy or comfortable you want to
> arrange your setup. Normally when connecting with you ISP he will
> transmit the DNS information during the handshaking. When connecting
> with Fedora this information can be used dynamically by the PEERDNS=yes
> if ifcfg-ppp0 for instance. This way /etc/resolv.conf will be populated
> each time a connection is established.
> The trivial method now is to place these 2 DNS IP addresses into the
> TCP/IP settings for the client host(s) behind the gateway. That can lead
> to a problem when the ISP changes his DNS server IPs so that the used
> ones on the clients get obsolete.
> A more advanced setup is to use squid as a caching proxy and to make it
> transparent for the client(s) by using iptables and redirecting port 80
> traffic through squid. A different approach is to setup a caching
> nameserver on your Fedora gateway which then does the name resolving and
> to use the gateway's IP as DNS address in the client's settings.
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC2smp
> Serendipity 21:11:21 up 4:03, 17 users, 0.00, 0.06, 0.11
>

> BodyID:89753093.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

My ISP provided me with a static IP, so I think that the first
solution seems better suited to my experience level and my
relationship with the ISP. Most of what you said was very foreign to
me, so I feel that I will be learning a lot this week.

> Normally when connecting with you ISP he will
> transmit the DNS information during the handshaking. When connecting
> with Fedora this information can be used dynamically by the PEERDNS=yes
> if ifcfg-ppp0 for instance. This way /etc/resolv.conf will be populated
> each time a connection is established.

I understand that this is not automatic? Will I need to write a bash
script? I know a little php, so I could learn a little bash. What file
should I parse for this information? Or am I stumbling in the
competely wrong direction?

> The trivial method now is to place these 2 DNS IP addresses into the
> TCP/IP settings for the client host(s) behind the gateway.

So I should write to the file that contains the TCP/IP settings? Er,
which file is that?

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/377/nine_inch_nails.php
Nine Inch Nails Lyrics