Re: Connecting 2 computers to the internet

On 6/25/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway-non-ppp/

Thank you!!!

> That article - and his predecessor http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway/
> -  should be helpful. Two points are typical pitfalls for beginners: the
> Linux host must forward traffic between his 2 devices. This is calle
> ip_forward and is to be set on (1) in /etc/sysctl.conf.

This should be straight forward. I'll get to that tomorrow when we (me
and the box) will be alone.

> The other point
> is that the client(s) behind the gateway host must be able to resolve
> hostnames. So they either have to have in their network setup knowledge
> about the ISP's DNS addresses or if the gateway acts as a local caching
> nameserver, they have to use his IP as DNS address.

Um, this was not very clear to me. I gathered that I must:
1) have in my network setup knowledge about the ISP's DNS addresses.
OR
2) If the gateway acts as a local caching nameserver, I have to use my
IP as DNS address.

Where could I find out about these two situations? Is the choise of 1
or 2 up to me, or does it depend upon the ISP?

> Alexander
> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC2smp
> Serendipity 18:35:13 up 1:27, 18 users, 0.26, 0.17, 0.17

Thank you Alex! As usual, your post brings me bounds closer to my goal.

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/108/carey_mariah.php
Mariah Carey Lyrics