Re: Problems with Kernel 2.6.12.1 on FC3 / FC4

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 13:58 -0700, John Wendel wrote:

Built kernel 2.6.12.1 with my custom config file (same one I use for 2.6.11 successfully) on both boxes. Build seemed a little flakey on the FC4 box (lots of warnings), but WTH. Things seemed perfectly fine on the FC3 box.

I hope you did a "make oldconfig" before you compiled the kernel!

Although 2.6.12 can finally be compiled with gcc4 (FC4's default) I
doubt it is officially supported. Therefore you would better use "make
CC=gcc32 HOSTCC=gcc32" when compiling, this will also get you rid of the
warning messages.

FC4 - boots fine, cannot login. Get login prompt, enter user id and password, fails, returns to login prompt. Messages file indicates that there is a pam problem getting/updating the groupid <something> (don't have the log handy, but it definitely was a pam failure). Reverted back to the FC4 kernel.

I have seen the exactly same problem with kernel 2.6.11 when pam
changed /etc/pam.d/login to include pam_loginuid, I doubt this is
related to the 2.6.12 kernel

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I always do "make mrproper", "make oldconfig", "make menuconfig" (usually, I like to tweak things), "make".

Thanks for the "gcc32" tip. I'll give it a try in a minute.

I'm not very smart about pam, guess it's time to get educated. Since FC3 doesn't have this problem, I agree that it seems unrelated to the new kernel. But then, why doesn't the stock FC4 kernel have the same problem?

Regards,

John